Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fall Break

So I'm finally home! After a very busy week taking midterms and finishing up papers, it's time for some well deserved relaxation at home with my family! During our term here at Mercyhurst we get a Fall Break - which is a four day weekend right after mid-terms. I'm spending mine at home, some students go home with roommates or friends if they live too far away, while others just relax on campus and enjoy the peace and quiet. Here in Pittsburgh the weather promises to be on again off again rain and sun. I can deal with that :)
Earlier this year I made to you readers (and myself) A New School Year's Resolution to do more volunteering. So I wanted to update you and let you know I have been keeping my word! Now this was made partially easier because for my Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners class I am required to do 10 hours of Service Learning. Service Learning is when a class requires you to do some type of volunteer work that relates to the course. It helps you to really live out what you are learning. Since we are learning about teaching students who don't speak English I am doing my 10 hours at the International Institute in Erie (check out their site here!). So far I love it! I am working in an adult ESL (English as a Second Language) classroom where I am helping the teacher with English classes for refuges from all over the world. I even get to teach part of the classes sometimes! At first I was kind of nervous, but everyone there is so nice and patient, I'm not nervous at all anymore. I really love working here and I plan on staying on with them even after I finish my ten hours.  So is just a quick update of my little promise to volunteer more. And I encourage you to try and do the same! It's a great experience and really rewarding.
Talk with you soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment